Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Thanksgiving day spirit

For my Pre-Thanksgiving Dinner with the In-laws I was told that 'Were having a bbq and your bringing the meat'! I was fine with that. So being Thanksgiving a Turkey was pretty much a pre-requisite. As traditional as I am I'd never fire up the smoker without some Pork to go on, so the smoker was a crowded house. Here's the turkey front and center and the pork is being bashful hiding in the back.


I used my tested dry rub on the Pork as usual, no need in fixin something that is'nt broken. But for the Turkey I concoted an injectible marinade hoping to keep the bird from doing it's usual impersonation of the 'Sahara Desert'. Also shortly after the glamour shot you see was taken the bacon strips went on to provide some good fatty juices. The injector was basically Apple Cider Vinegar with a good amount of spices like mustard,celery seed, cayenne, molasses etc...


Also I've been working on air-flow regulation. This is a pic of the new and improved coal chute. Fire Bricks are used to dampen down the opening and that 3-holer is also a fire brick. By really limiting the air intake I've gained much more control of the temperature and amount of charcoal and wood that the smoker consumes. Initially I was worried that there would not be enough air but I was pretty much dead wrong. By the way the birck to the right with the re-bar in it is my coal pusher which I use to push the hot coals into a neat pile.


Here's a shot of the finished Pork, just look at that smoke ring. The Turkey got away before I could get a pic of it. Next time perhaps. It turned out fantastic, Juicy and Flavorful with that distinct smoke flavor. I've had regular Turkey and Fried Turkey but nothing really compares to Smoked Turkey. The in-laws quickly snapped up all the left over turkey and left the pulled pork for me, now that's good turkey! Also the cornbread never really got off the ground. I just did'nt have the time to get it all baked and then in the bird. Sooner or Later there will be cornbread stuffing cooked on the pot smoker.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Newell,
Seriously-the inlaws got fresh smoked meat--are we getting any?
It looks really good. I guess even if we don't get any of the goods we will still be very happy to see ya'll--love-a

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Newell,

Next time you pull some of that delicious smoke charred goodness out of the pot smoker, you should overnight some to me. Morter Architects 2271 N. Frontage Rd. W. Suite C Vail, CO 81657. I’ll send you a check for the shipping. - Matt

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NO meat for MATT 'til we get a BOOT BEER MUG.

-FMC BC/YC-

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should cook 'gator for Christmas!

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home